It's still not as good as the hot and sour soup we can get at the Teapot Vegetarian House down the street, but it's close, it's close.
- 4 cups soup stock
- hot pepper flakes
- about 200 g firm tofu (regular or silken), cut into small, long slices or small cubes
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup carrots, in matchsticks or julienned
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar (read this first)
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in some water
- 1 teaspoon hot sesame oil (optional)
Boil the hot pepper flakes, tofu, mushrooms, and carrots in the soup stock for ten to fifteen minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and vinegar.
Add the dissolved cornstarch to the soup. Remove the soup from the heat as soon as it has thickened. Gently stir in the hot sesame oil (or add to individual bowls, per taste).
This soup takes about twenty minutes to prepare.
Recipe yields four servings.
When preparing this recipe and any other food you enjoy, please use organically-grown vegetables, fruits, grains, and flavorings. The Earth you save may be your own.